Hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing Memorial Day weekend!
We spent our vacation doing what we love most…farming! As we learned last year while we delivered CSA pickups on July 4th, farmers very rarely get holidays. After having several days of indoor working last year in the rain (plenty to do, but just not outside!) we felt like we had to take full advantage of the beautiful weather. On top of that, we got a surprise Friday afternoon when our sweet potato slips arrived a week early (funny enough, this exact same thing happened last year, and I have the scars to prove it from when I fell down my stairs at 5 am in the morning to go dig holes!)
ANYHOW, I digress. Here’s what we accomplished on Belmont Acres Farm this weekend:
– 500 leeks, 400 heads of lettuce, 450 butternut squash, 300 acorn squash, 300 delicata squash, 150 watermelon, 75 zuccini, 75 yellow squash, all started in the hoophouse
– 80 Fungal resistant tomato planted in fields (hopefully fungal resistant!), staked, and mulched
– 200 parsley plants palnted
– 200 basil plants planted
– 500 sweet potato slips planted
– 50 cucumber plants planted
– 100 zuccini/summer squash planted in the field
So yea, we got some work done! This doesn’t even include all the plowing, tilling, composting, and mulching that goes into preparing the beds. We’re also underway on a cold box for the wash room. I’m also constantly getting stressed when I don’t think everything will fit in our fields, but somehow we always seem to find space!
And in other news, we may have some new lady inhabitants at the farm this weekend. Stay tuned for details!